Job Title: Senior Staff Attorney
Program: Legal Services
Schedule: Mon – Fri 9 AM – 5 PM
Supervisor: Chief Operations Officer of the Legal Department
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support provides safety, shelter and support for women who have experienced domestic violence and their children. All of the services at Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support are confidential and no cost. Through every effort we put forth we work to end the epidemic of domestic violence by raising awareness against its cause, prevalence and impact.
Genesis Women’s Shelter seeks a dynamic, self-starting attorney who has vision, initiative, and a demonstrated commitment to public interest law to fill a position with a principal focus on family law issues. In addition to providing daily representation in civil legal matters, the successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to identifying and taking advantage of opportunities for strategic advocacy and to engaging in outreach to and collaboration with victims of family violence. Genesis seeks a staff attorney who has experience with or has demonstrated a comfort with solo practice addressing a wide variety of services while working on cases involving family violence, sexual assault, divorce and child custody.
- Provide high-quality representation to clients who are survivors of domestic violence in accordance with agency policies and procedures and will an attorney’s responsibilities under the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct, the Texas Lawyer’s Creed, and the American Bar Association’s Standards for Providers.
- Represent clients in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government.
- Handle a caseload involving substantial litigation and other justice-related advocacy
- Support cases by gathering evidence, advise clients about their rights, draft legal documents, and conduct civil lawsuits from beginning to end.
- Conduct interviews with clients and witnesses with cultural competence, as well as handle other tasks in representing clients and the agency.
- Responsibility to interprets laws, rulings and regulations for client’s best interest
- Supervisor and coordinate activities of staff attorneys, paralegal, volunteer, or student workers.
- Responsible for planning and implementing trainings to members of the judiciary, law enforcement, advocates, and others in order to expand our services and ensure best practices throughout Texas.
- Licensed to practice in Texas.
- Minimum of 5 years’ direct family law experience including divorce, protective order, and custody.
- Ability to work in a solo practitioner atmosphere and paralegal support
- Sophisticated understanding of criminal law related to Domestic Violence is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal skills required
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) ability strongly preferred