Job Title: Outreach Family Advocate
Hours: Mon-Fri; three days 9-5; two days 12:30-8:30pm
Supervisor: Director of Advocacy
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support provides safety, shelter and support for women who have experienced domestic violence and their children. All of the services at Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support are confidential and no cost. Through every effort we put forth we work to end the epidemic of domestic violence by raising awareness against its cause, prevalence and impact.
The Family Advocate will support victims of domestic violence through the provision of trauma informed advocacy and case management services related to children’s needs. The Advocate is committed to promoting the safety and empowerment of their clients and will offer individual and group case management/advocacy services (including parenting classes) along with crisis intervention, accompaniment, and information and referrals.
- Assist in identifying needs of child and teen clients and giving appropriate referrals and resources to fit their needs.
- Perform on-site crisis intervention and help clients and callers develop safety plan.
- Establish referral relationships with other social service agencies and attend community coalition meetings related to children’s and moms’ needs.
- Complete client intakes, family background information, and set individual goals both short and long term.
- Be the CPS Liaison at Genesis and work with families involved with CPS to provide advocacy, education, and support.
- Specialize in advocacy needs for teen moms and teen dating violence survivors.
- Maintain accurate file records in electronic filing system.
- Serve as an advocate for clients in obtaining community resources such as writing letters on behalf of clients, and coordinating assistance for clients with other service providers, such as meetings with housing programs, medical appointments, and legal service coordination.
- Accompany client to court and other necessary appointments.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of client services and case notes in compliance with agency guidelines.
- Assists with any other projects/tasks as assigned
Skills / Requirements:
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred. Comparable experience will be considered.
- Related experience to include crisis intervention, casework services, counseling, advocacy and coordination of services, preferably in area of domestic violence.
- Knowledge and experience related to resources for childcare, parenting, and CPS preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
- Must consent and pass a Criminal Background check
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written