Job Title: Legal Secretary
Program: Legal Services
Hours: Monday -Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Supervisor: Chief Legal Services Officer
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support provides safety, shelter and support for women who have experienced domestic violence and their children. All of the services at Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support are confidential and no cost. Through every effort we put forth we work to end the epidemic of domestic violence by raising awareness against its cause, prevalence and impact.
The Legal Secretary will serve as a liaison for the department: greeting clients, screening and routing visitors and incoming calls, and answering routine inquiries. The Legal Secretary will provide routine secretarial support to the staff of the Legal Department in an efficient and conscientious manner. The Legal Secretary will work with clients represented by the Legal Department and clients that have been referred to the Pro Se Clinic. The Legal Assistant will offer direct support to clients in our Pro Se Clinic: assisting in assessing which documents are necessary for their case, answering questions and assisting with the completion of forms.
- Provide general secretarial support including answering phones, translating documents, filing documents via e-file, and receiving and distributing mail to appropriate staff member.
- Greet clients, answer incoming calls, and routing visitors to the appropriate staff member.
- Assist attorneys with tasks such as making copies, typing correspondence, filing paperwork, and maintaining office supplies.
- Assist attorneys in client communication.
- Retrieve documentation, records, and evidence.
- Act as an interpreter between clients and other legal staff members.
- Proficient and accurate use of word processing software, databases, and electronic management system.
- Maintain client’s paper legal files and convert files upon completion of services.
- Maintain accurate electronic records for all client’s files, including, but not limited to, entering notes, correspondence, scanning documents, filing, and calendaring events in electronic management system.
- Maintain confidentiality and professionalism toward clients and visitors.
- Assist clients with pro se services.
- Create forms for documents that are used repeatedly in Pro Se Clinic.
- Update paperwork and maintain documents as needed in the Pro Se Clinic.
- Assist in maintaining a professional physical appearance of the Legal Suite.
- High School Diploma
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required, both verbal and written.
- Must have 1 or more years of secretarial and administrative experience within a legal setting, preferably in Family Law. Knowledge in the field of domestic violence is a plus.
- Basic computer and office technology literacy, including Microsoft Office, Outlook, Cloud based storage systems, and file management software is strongly preferred.
- Ability to type with proficiency.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must have impeccable attention to detail and the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgement and discretion in the performance of all duties.
- Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
Qualified candidates can apply online by clicking here or submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.