Job Title: Director of Communications
Program: Fund Development
Schedule: Mon – Fri 9 am to 5 pm
Supervisor: Chief Development Officer
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support is a non-profit agency providing a continuum of care for women and children who are victims of family violence. For thirty years Genesis has been providing safety, shelter, crisis intervention, on-going counseling and advocacy for women and children at both residential and non-residential locations. Genesis continues to be a community leader in providing training and education on issues surrounding intimate partner and gender-based violence.
The Director of Communications will further all external communication efforts, including website management, earned media, and social/digital media. The main goal of the Director of Communication will be to increase brand awareness of Genesis Women’s Shelter and the issue of domestic violence as a whole.
- Responsible for providing content for Genesis Women’s Shelter’s blog, including managing the blog content calendar, suggesting blog topics, ghostwriting blogs from the perspective of counselors or other subject matter experts, editing blogs, posting blogs to the website, etc.
- Generates the Genesis monthly e-newsletter content and design with consideration both to call-to-actions and nurturing/educational content.
- Creates and distributes the internal bi-monthly Genesis e-newsletter to staff.
- Responsible for creating, scheduling and posting social media content proactively, as well as responding reactively to comments and messages.
- Assist with handling inbound media requests; including creating media backgrounders to prepare CEO for interviews; sitting in on media interviews and working directly with reporters to coordinate requests.
- Proactively reach out to reporters to pitch story ideas for additional media coverage.
- Create press releases and media alerts ranging from events to organizational updates, including communicating with reporters in response to press releases and media advisories.
- Supervise and support Genesis Graphic Design Manager. Including but not limited to the development of collateral design and written copy for printed projects and swag items.
- Responsible for keeping a pulse on the news to notice any industry disruptions or trends of note. Review news articles may result in social media posts, blog articles, opinion pieces, etc.
- Participate in creating integrated marketing fundraising campaigns, from conception and strategy through execution; cross-pollinate content, social media, public relations, digital, etc. to best achieve desired results.
- Execute monthly reporting, including analyzing social media metrics, email marketing, website analytics, success of fundraising campaigns, etc.
- Assists with any other projects/task as assigned
Skills / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication or other related field preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience in communications or public relations work
- Knowledge of how to work with reporters both proactively and reactively
- Prior experience managing social media platforms
- Knowledge of AP writing style
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge (donor software), MailChimp, WordPress strongly preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook
- Experience in Canva a plus
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter with little to no on-site supervision
- Ability to communicate proficiently, both verbal and written
- Possess strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a highly fast-paced environment meeting various deadlines