Job Title: Bilingual Residential Advocate
Program: Residential Program
Schedule: Tues – Sat 9am to 5pm / 12:30pm to 8:30pm
Supervisor: Director of Advocacy
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support is a non-profit agency providing a continuum of care for women and children who are victims of family violence. For thirty years Genesis has been providing safety, shelter, crisis intervention, on-going counseling and advocacy for women and children at both residential and non-residential locations. Genesis continues to be a community leader in providing training and education on issues surrounding intimate partner and gender-based violence.
The Bilingual Residential Advocate will support victims of domestic violence through the provision of trauma informed advocacy and case management services. The Bilingual Residential Advocate is committed to promoting the safety and empowerment of their clients and will offer individual and group case management/advocacy services along with crisis intervention, accompaniment, and information and referrals.
- Assist in identifying needs of clients, setting individual goals both short and long term, and giving appropriate referrals and resources to fit their needs.
- Perform on-site, hotline, and advocacy line crisis intervention and help clients and callers develop safety plans
- Establish referral relationships with other social service agencies and attend community coalition meetings.
- Serve as an advocate for clients in obtaining community resources such writing letters on behalf of clients, and coordinating assistance for clients with other service providers, such as meetings with housing programs, medical appointments, legal service coordination, etc.
- Assisting clients by either accompanying or coordinating with other service providers, such as meetings with housing programs, medical appointments, court, legal service coordination, etc.
- Abide by standards of the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics
- Attend trainings as necessary to maintain accurate and adequate knowledge in the field of domestic violence.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of client services and case notes in compliance with agency guidelines.
- Prepare client assessments on a weekly basis for staff meetings.
- Assists with any other projects/task as assigned
Skills / Requirements:
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field preferred.
- Related experience to include crisis intervention, casework services, advocacy and coordination of services, preferably in area of domestic violence.
- Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter with little to no on-site supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written
- Possess strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a highly fast-paced environment