Job Title: Bilingual Legal Advocate
Schedule: Mon – Fri 9 AM – 5 PM
Supervisor: Chief Legal Services Officer
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support is a non-profit agency providing a continuum of care for women and children who are victims of family violence. For thirty years Genesis has been providing safety, shelter, crisis intervention, on-going counseling and advocacy for women and children at both residential and non-residential locations. Genesis continues to be a community leader in providing training and education on issues surrounding intimate partner and gender-based violence.
The Bilingual Legal Advocate will work primarily with clients either referred to or represented by the Legal Services Department. The Bilingual Legal Advocate is committed to promoting the safety and empowerment of their clients and will offer individual and group case management/advocacy services along with crisis intervention, court accompaniment, information, and referrals. This will include both advocacy and assistance for the client within the civil legal system as well as referrals and assistance to outside support services that have either a direct or collateral effect on the legal circumstances of the client and their minor children. Outside and Inter-agency services and referrals shall include Dallas County Family Violence Division & Protective Order Unit, Community Legal Clinics, State Agencies, and other legal services.
- Assist in identifying the needs of legal clients and giving appropriate referrals and resources to fit their needs.
- Assess legal needs of clients to determine the appropriate course of action to provide and obtain legal assistance for the client.
- Assess and refer clients for participation in programs designed to address and support the emotional impact of the Civil Court Process on Intimate Partner Violence survivor litigants and their children.
- Direct liaison between Protective Order Unit and clients through protective order process.
- Help legal clients, in conjunction with other Legal Department staff in creating and implementing safety planning.
- Use currently established referral relationships while also discovering and implementing new referral resources.
- Establish referral relationships with other social service agencies.
- Complete client intakes, client background information, and set individual goals both short and long term.
- Maintain accurate file records in an electronic case management system.
- Serve as an advocate for legal clients in obtaining community resources in person, through phone calls, writing letters on behalf of clients, etc.,
- Participate in Legal Intake meetings and other client meetings as requested and necessary.
- Act as an interpreter between clients and other legal staff members and between clients and outside service providers connected to the client’s legal needs or legal case.
- Coordinating assistance for legal clients with other service providers.
- Accompany client to court and other necessary appointments in the legal system.
- Assist legal clients in completing forms, documents and tasks related to legal cases and surrounding circumstances.
- Assist clients in obtaining necessary documents for court filings and related procedures.
- Assist in explaining legal processes and procedures to clients.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of client services and case notes in compliance with agency and Legal Department guidelines.
Skills / Requirements:
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Master’s degree in social work or related field preferred.
- Related experience to include crisis intervention, casework services, counseling, advocacy, legal systems, and coordination of services, preferably in area of domestic violence.
- Basic computer and office technology literacy, including Microsoft Office, Outlook, Cloud based storage systems, and file management software is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed.
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus and motivate change.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.