Job Title: Special Events Manager
Program: Fund Development
Hours: Monday –Friday
Supervisor: Sr. Director of Fund & Community Development
Genesis Women's Shelter & Support provides safety, shelter and support for women who have experienced domestic violence and their children. All of the services at Genesis Women's Shelter & Support are confidential and no cost. Through every effort we put forth we work to end the epidemic of domestic violence by raising awareness against its cause, prevalence and impact.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support a client centered operations with a mindset of care, compassion, and humility.
- Be aware of Client/Student(s) special circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems…etc…)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willingness attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a warm and welcoming, safe space for the families we serve.
- Independently manage time with little supervision
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the families we serve with compassion and humility.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies regarding domestic violence, internal conflict resolutions, and how decisions are made
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Commitment to a holistic approach to providing services, as well as to community-based solutions for addressing the root causes of violence and survivor needs
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
Your responsibilities are:
The Special Events Manager will plan and manage a group of successful fundraising events and other activities for Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support to contribute to the annual fundraising goals of the agency and further the mission of the organization. Special Events Manager will be expected to work enthusiastically and energetically with the Fund Development team to raise funds necessary to provide safety, shelter and support for women who have experienced domestic violence, and to raise awareness regarding its cause, prevalence and impact.
- Responsible for a large portion of this fundraising process
- Soliciting donations via formal letter writing
- Requesting in-kind donations from event industry vendors
- Working closely with supporters of Genesis to plan such events
- Maintaining a grateful, professional demeanor at all times with team members, staff, event professionals and volunteers
- Working with all event financials including budgeting, expense tracking, and post-event reporting
- Event follow-up with consistent donor/volunteer appreciation
- Oversight of any physical events including assisting with setup and breakdown
- Becoming knowledgeable of the issue, developing a comfort for sharing this knowledge with potential supporters and donors at any given time
- Travel locally for events/meetings on occasional weekends and evenings or as needed.
- Assisting the Sr. Director of Fund & Community Development with additional projects events as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years’ minimum experience in event coordination/management
- Ability to create and execute events from start to finish
- Familiarity with event design language and concepts
- Prior experience in the non-profit sector and/or working with volunteers is desired
- Strong skills with Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience with a donor database. Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Professional communication skills of all types are essential: telephone, event/social, email and formal letter writing.
- Proven ability to work successfully in a team with a supervisor, senior staff, Board members, donors and supporters is vital.
- Strong organizational and detail management skills. Comfortable working on multiple projects while prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
- Required a source of transportation
- A minor degree of physical labor is required for setup and breakdown of most events, such as lifting boxes, arranging tables, etc.