Genesis Women’s Shelter is a non-profit agency providing a continuum of care for women and children who are victims of family violence. For thirty years Genesis has been providing safety, shelter, crisis intervention, on-going counseling, and case management for women and children at both residential and non-residential locations. Genesis is expanding its on-site legal clinic to address our clients’ critical need to have access to civil legal representation. Genesis continues to be a community leader in providing training and education on issues surrounding intimate partner and gender based violence.
Supervised directly by the agency’s CEO, the principal duties of the Sr. Director of Legal Services will be to oversee the agency’s family law legal program, supervising a team of staff attorneys, paralegals and support staff. The Sr. Director of Legal Services will develop and foster the agency’s relationships with legal and domestic violence community partners to provide comprehensive, robust legal and case management services to clients. In fulfilling the mission of Genesis Women’s Shelter, the attorney will provide high-quality, trauma informed family law representation to clients who are survivors of domestic violence in accordance with agency policies and procedures and will an attorney’s responsibilities under the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct, the Texas Lawyer’s Creed, and the American Bar Association’s Standards for Providers.
- Oversee the office’s intake, conduct case staffing, review and assign cases for appropriate assistance, conduct regular case reviews of open cases and provide co-counseling assistance to staff attorneys, training, and mentorship to staff and promote a positive work environment.
- Monitor open cases for activity and review closed cases for proper record-keeping, file maintenance, statistics for grant funding and overall quality of service provided.
- Managing all legal work, goals, objectives, timely submission of reports, assisting with applications, budget preparations, proposed outcomes and outreach.
- Participate in management meetings, trainings and projects
- Conduct employee performance evaluations and handle corrective action or disciplinary issues, processes administrative items and issues related to timekeeping, travel, leave, check requests, training requests and payroll.
- Offer support and legal education to private law firms and solo practitioners partnered with Genesis who provide pro bono representation to Genesis clients in family law matters.
- Handle his/her own caseload proportionate to their management and administrative duties.
- Senior director of Legal Services also serves as part of the Sr. Directors’ team. Responsibilities there would include participating in Long Range Strategic Planning, Budget Development, Program Development, agency-wide decision making protecting the integrity of not only the Legal program but the agency as a whole.
- The attorney must be licensed to practice in Texas.
- The attorney must have a minimum of 5 years in practice and at least 3 years with direct family law experience including litigating protective orders, property division and child custody.
- Strong understanding of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, Texas Family Code and Texas Rules of Evidence required.
- Prior management or leadership experience required
- Excellent written and verbal skills required
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) ability strongly preferred
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com