Job Title: Residential Assistant
Hours: Varies (depending on need)
Supervisor: Residential Operations Manager
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support provides emergency shelter, safety and counseling for victims of domestic violence and their children. All of the services at Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support are confidential and free. Through every effort we put forth we work to end the epidemic of domestic violence against women and children by stopping individual victimization and reducing the devastating impact of family violence through safety, shelter and expert services to battered women and their children. We are committed to preventing violence by raising the level of community awareness regarding the pervasiveness and effects of domestic violence.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support a client centered operations with a mindset of care, compassion, and humility.
- Be aware of Client(s) special circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems…etc…)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willingness attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Assist client(s) with basic needs in a safe and secure setting
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a warm and welcoming, safe space for the families we serve.
- Independently manage time with little supervision
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the families we serve with compassion and humility.
Your responsibilities are:
Residential Assistant will be responsible for serving as a representative of the organizations assisting with preparing and serving meals; cleaning/organizing areas that are used by client(s) including common areas (i.e. dining room, rooms, and restrooms); and complete preparation/clean out of client rooms preparing for client readiness. Schedule will require you to work holidays and weekends.
- Prepare and serve meals to 15-50 client(s) including the preparation of the food, cooking, and cleaning
- Assist client(s) with dining room needs
- Ensure the kitchen, dining room, and pantry are cleaned and organized
- Assist with weekly menu creation
- Complete inventory of supplies / food and assist with ordering; report immediately anything stationary items that are low or out (i.e. milk, eggs, bread)
- Drive to pick up supplies for the campus including buying groceries or supplies
- Complete daily and special cleaning projects, assigned to you and address any cleaning needs as they arise.
- Perform make-ready on client rooms including cleaning, changing linens, filling inventory items for client living spaces.
- Environmental duties include but are not limited to cleaning the floors (mopping/sweeping), restroom clean-ups, vacuuming rooms/hallways, and trash collection and disposal.
- Ensure the campus (i.e. common spaces, storage areas, grounds, and outside gate property) is clean and organized.
Skills / Requirements:
- Physical demands include lifting up to 25 pound and standing/walking for 4-6 hours at a time.
- A valid Texas Driver’s License, required
- Food Handlers Certified, required (GWSS will provide financial assistance with obtaining certification within 2 weeks of employment).
- Experience with meal prep and cooking in a residential or small facility setting, a plus
- Awareness of special needs and effects of trauma due to personal battles with domestic violence or other circumstances and how to handle these circumstances
- Environmental experience in a residential or small facility setting, a plus