At Genesis, we're always looking to collaborate with college students and recent university graduates. Real-life work experience provides interns with a competitive edge and resume-building, and in particular, Genesis Women’s Shelter's internship program offers a rich, immersive experience that will broaden the intern’s horizons while providing the opportunity to gain experience at a well-established nonprofit. Current internship opportunities are listed below.
OUTREACH ADVOCACY INTERN
FUND DEVELOPMENT INTERN
Outreach Advocacy Intern
Supervisor: Director of Advocacy and Education
Program: Residential or Non-Residential Outreach Offices
The purpose of this internship is to gain experience, knowledge, and training in the domestic violence sector and to learn how a non-profit (specifically Domestic Violence) agency is run.
• Participate in advocacy training in areas of client services
• Participate in cross training (childcare, front office, hotline, operations, etc.)
• Learn about how non-profits function, especially in the Domestic Violence field
• Shadow advocacy staff as appropriate
• Work closely with the Director of Advocacy and Education and Outreach Advocates to assist clients various needs.
• Learn about daily operations of Residential and Non-Residential Campuses
• Help supervisor with client Court Accompaniment (as scheduled)
• Help Children’s program with Camp G (as needed)
• Help with special advocacy department projects
• Eagerness to learn and desire to grow
• Passion for working to end domestic violence
• Enthusiasm and Energy
• Computer Proficiency
• Currently enrolled as an undergraduate, and have (or will have) completed their Junior Year.
• Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed.
• Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes.
• Commitment to a holistic approach to providing services, as well as to community-based solutions for addressing the root causes of violence and survivor needs
• Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus and motivate change.
• Acceptance of agency philosophies regarding domestic violence, internal conflict resolutions, and how decisions are made.
• Will have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
• Bi-lingual (Spanish) Preferred/Required
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter to Krista Fultz, director of advocacy and education, at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Outreach Advocacy Internship Applicant.”
FUND DEVELOPMENT INTERN
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support is looking for a Fund Development intern eager to support our mission, gain valuable work experience and earn course credit. Members of the Fund Development team are responsible for securing the majority of the Genesis annual operating budget via special events, grant applications, general donations and community fundraisers. The wide breadth of tasks accomplished by this team offers exposure to a variety of different industries, skillsets, career opportunities, projects, audiences and objectives.
• Current university student or recent graduate
• Available 15-20 hours per week
• Self-starter passionate about women’s issues
• Strong desire to learn
• Flexible and team-oriented attitude
• Interface with volunteers and assist with organizational tasks
• Inventory in-kind donations, record of donor participation and prep pieces for distribution
• Help organize and execute events for corporate engagement and education
• Assist in the planning, preparation and execution of annual Genesis special events
• Train in donor database entry, maintenance and upkeep
• Additional duties as assigned to support the Fund Development team
CONTRIBUTION TO STUDENTS
• This internship is unpaid*
• Career exposure
• Industry education
• Task management skills
• Practice building relationships with clients and vendors
• Real-life work experience at highly-respected DFW nonprofit
Click here for a more detailed description of the Fund Development Intern Program.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter to Hollie Groos, director of design, at email@example.com using the subject line “Fund Development Internship Applicant.”