Job Title: Early Childhood Teacher
Program: Residential Education
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Supervisor: Director of Education
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support provides safety, shelter and support for women who have experienced domestic violence and their children. All of the services at Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support are confidential and no cost. Through every effort we put forth we work to end the epidemic of domestic violence by raising awareness against its cause, prevalence and impact.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support a client centered operations with a mindset of care, compassion, and humility.
- Be aware of Client/Student(s) special circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems…etc…)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willingness attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Assist client(s) with basic needs in a safe and secure setting
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a warm and welcoming, safe space for the families we serve.
- Independently manage time with little supervision
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the families we serve with compassion and humility.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies regarding domestic violence, internal conflict resolutions, and how decisions are made
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Commitment to a holistic approach to providing services, as well as to community-based solutions for addressing the root causes of violence and survivor needs
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
Your responsibilities are:
The Early Childhood Teacher at Genesis Women’s Shelter and Support works with the director and lead teacher to develop and implement a trauma-informed early childhood program for children in preschool and primary grades who come from homes affected by domestic violence. The early childhood teacher develops courses of study, implements curriculum, manages student behavior, maintains student and school records, communicates with parents and staff, adheres to high professional and ethical standards, and supports the daily operation of the school and GWSS as a whole.
Develop courses of study
- Work with the director and lead teacher to select standards and develop curriculum guides
- Use accepted standards and curriculum guides when developing lessons
- Acquire and prepare materials needed to implement lessons
Implement the school’s curriculum
- Plan and deliver classroom instruction that is developmentally and academically appropriate
- Incorporate activities that promote the social, emotional, physical, and academic growth of students
- Integrate music and movement into students’ daily activities
- Assess student performance to guide future instruction
Manage student behavior
- Implement the school’s behavior management plan
- Explicitly instruct students on classroom rules and procedures
- Communicate regularly with students, parents, and staff regarding student behavior
Maintain student and school records
- Input new students into the Student Data Report
- Prepare exit paperwork including withdrawal letters and coursework outlines for students
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of client services in compliance with agency guidelines
- Maintain classroom records for all purchases
Communicate with parents and staff
- Conduct parent conferences
- Provide mothers with education and training that supports their child’s learning and development
- Maintain communication with mothers and agency staff regarding students’ performance and behavior
Support the operation of the school and GWSS
- Support clients and staff in other School and Children’s Department programs including, but not limited to, Granny Ruth Early Childhood Center and Camp G
- Ensure the safety and supervision of students at all times
- Maintain a visually engaging classroom that is organized and clean
- Transport students using agency vehicles
- Assist in other ways with the daily operation of the school and GWSS
Skills / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree with preference given to those with majors in child development or education, active teacher certifications, and experience working with children in a school setting
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- Texas driver’s license and a driving record without major infractions
- Ability to bend, stoop, crouch, and sit on the floor to engage with students
- Current CPR/First Aid training required within first 30 days of hire
- Ability to routinely lift children (up to 35 pounds), move furniture in an early childhood classroom, and sustain long hours of work, mostly on your feet
- Must be able to bend, stoop, crouch, and sit on the floor to engage with students
- Will have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.