Position: Bilingual Residential Family Advocate
Hours: Exempt full-time; 3 days: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and 2 days: 1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Supervisor: Director of Advocacy and Education
Program: Advocacy Department
The purpose of this position is to support victims of domestic violence through implementation of trauma informed casework, advocacy, crisis intervention, and support services in the residential programs (emergency shelter and transitional housing). This position is responsible for the promotion of safety, empowerment, and optimum health for clients.
- Conduct intakes, assessments, and convey advocacy and children’s program and expectations to children, adolescents, and mothers in individual, group, and family settings
- Conduct advocacy meetings with women at the Shelter and Annie’s House (transitional housing program) to provide resources, referrals, support, and education regarding safety, domestic violence, child development, etc.
- Conduct meetings with children when necessary to assess their understanding of safety and for the purpose of safety planning
- Perform on-site, hotline, and advocacy line crisis intervention and help clients and callers develop safety plans
- Establish referral relationships with other social service agencies and attend community coalition meetings
- Advocate for the needs of children who have been affected by domestic violence and trauma
- Broadly assess each child’s physical and emotional health and development and make recommendations to staff; make appropriate referrals to outside agencies if necessary
- Assist in the planning and facilitation of Children’s Department programs
- Attend trainings as necessary to maintain accurate and adequate knowledge in domestic violence and related fields
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of client services in compliance with agency guidelines
- Work closely with other members of the client support team to provide support and services to clients in a trauma informed manner
- Prepare client assessments on a weekly basis for staff meetings
- Attend mandatory meetings: Advocacy Huddles, Advocacy Roundtables, Lunch and Learns, etc.
- Attended supervision with Director of Advocacy & Education on a weekly basis
Agency Representation/Community Engagement
- Conduct speaking engagements within the community about domestic violence, related topics, and GWSS services
- Provide trainings, both in house and in the community, on relevant topics
- Represent GWSS in a professional manner within the community by attending relevant community meetings, coalitions, trainings, etc.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Social Work, Sociology, Child Development, Child and Family Studies, or related field
- Knowledge in the field of domestic violence and experience working with survivors of trauma preferred
- Have experience working with children, preferably experience working with children who have experienced trauma, domestic violence, or child abuse
- Have experience providing effective and client centered crisis intervention
- Have experience with public speaking and staff/volunteer training
- Must have an understanding of and experience delivering services within a trauma informed setting
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff, and community contacts and ability to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Commitment to a holistic approach to providing services, as well as to community-based solutions for addressing the root causes of violence and survivor needs
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
- Acceptance of agency philosophies regarding domestic violence, internal conflict resolutions, and how decisions are made
- Adhere to Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support Victim’s Advocacy Code of Ethics
- Current CPR/First Aid training required within first 30 days of hire
- Ability to drive a commercial vehicle and lift some heavy objects
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com